Sunday, July 13, 2014

I am Malala Book review "The Goddess of Smallthings"

I have been following the story of Malala Yousafzai since the day she was shot. I heard her story on ET, the Insider, Insider Edition, 60 minutes ... the British and American social Media but on not the Arab ones (of-course) and I thought what a brave girl !! and only this summer I had the opportunity to read her book "I am Malala"
I AM MALALA

The Girl Who Stood Up for Education

and Was Shot by the Taliban


When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday October 9, 2012, she almost paid the ultimate price. When she was shot in the head at point blank range while riding the bus home from school, few expected her to survive . Malala tells of her life-shattering moment in a riveting memoir, “I Am Malala,” co-written with Christina Lamb, a veteran British journalist who has an evident passion for Pakistan and can render its complicated history with pristine clarity.

In her story, Malala does not only speak of her 'incident with the Taliban' but she speaks as well about her home, the Swat Valley, and everything that she loved and was proud about there: from her amazing father who, unlike most Pashtuns, celebrated when his wife gave birth to a daughter, to her best friend Moniba, with whom she giggled and played with, and who was also her rival for top of the class at at Kahshul School,
fighting with her younger brothers, listening to the village women who would gather at her mother's in the afternoon. She talks about the small thinks and these small things made me love the book. Malala is "the Goddess of smallthings"( as The God Of Smallthings, a novel by Arundhati Roy)



I am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, and of Malala's parents' fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons. The story is both heartbreaking and entirely inspiring for not just girls but everyone. Her writing is filled with courage and an undeniable love that you cannot help but feel.

What I hated about the book the fact it is full of an odd jumble of Pakistani history and politics which I thought they are irrelevant and they were obviously not Malala's words.

I very highly recommend this book . People who particularly are interested in women's rights, history, or inspirational memoirs would enjoy this book. It provides a grateful feeling for everything around you. I Am Malala is a piece of literature for all; this is by far the most inspirational and thought provoking novel I have read.




No comments:

Post a Comment