Monday, September 15, 2014

"Speak" now or forever shut your mouth

Speak is a YA/ realistic fiction/ contemporary book by Laurie Halse Anderson. 





Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her  friends don't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her . The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, SOMETHING happened at that party, SOMETHING horrible, SOMETHING made her withdraw from life, family and school and I won't tell you what is it but you can guess from the following quote:

"Our frog lies on her back. Waiting for a prince to come and princessify her with a smooch? I stand over her with my knife. Ms. Keen's voice fades to a mosquito whine. My throat closes off. It's hard to breathe. I put out my hand to steady myself against the table. David pins her froggy hands to the dissection tray. He spreads her froggy legs and pins her froggy feet. I have to slice open her belly. She doesn't say a word. She is already dead. A scream starts in my gut - I can feel the cut, smell the dirt, leaves in my hair."

 Therefore, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth. "Speak" now or forever shut your mouth!!!

well, well the book is awesome; written in a very simple English , it's , in fact, like reading a personal diary of a teen girl (I love 'Tnasnis' it's fun !! kidding, but this time it wasn't); because the narration is in Melinda's head , the memory too is in her head which added the realistic notion to the story.

It's like a dark, sad and terrifying diary , you surf through unhappy and angry words and I hated it at first ; I was like, com'on get over yourself or who the hell cares !!! I didn't feel like,don't worry hon, I'll be your friend, even though I have a soft heart. I just felt lukewarm towards her I didn't like her and I didn't hate her, I didn't feel sorry for her. Maybe, she didn't want to be pitied.


However, I was glad when she found finally her voice, she was going through a phase of awakening, and she exposed "IT"( Ps: IT refers to a person , I know we are breaking a major rule in the English Grammar but you have to read the book to understand why) and the book ended perfectly; The books end as the following GIF :

I couldn't really talk about the book and how I really felt because it would be a major spoil;  One word and I would expose everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment